Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Now for some math

If 1/2 the Indian trucks serve kabobs, and if 1/2 the kabob trucks serve halal, and then if 1/2 the halal trucks serve gyros, and moreover if 1/2 the gyro trucks serve shawarmas, that equals how many of such trucks are out in DC right now?  17!  With that rough count, it's nearly 20% of trucks, not including carts.  Now I know they're not all the same, but I think you can see my thought process in this case, and now it's time to add one more!  Mayur Kabob House Curry & Kabobs.
 

According to the owner, they've been out for about a week, but another one without Twitter, so it's hard to know when and where.  (He did say he was hoping to be @TandooriTime by tomorrow ... we'll see.)  This is also the next in the growing line of brick-and-mortar shops to go mobile.  While I have an Indian friend who swears by the restaurant, I have another Indian friend who would prefer the food from the truck be more spicy.  (I tried to explain the truck is probably stuck trying to appeal to a broader audience by not kicking up the heat too much.)  3 honks with good potential to move up:
Mayur Kabob House (No Twitter yet, but hoping to become @TandooriTime) -- I was all set to slot the newest addition to the Indian food truckers (and friends, etc) in at 3.5 honks but thought better of it when I looked at what other trucks are in at 3 & 3.5 respectively.  However, this one has distinct possibilities to move up because I loved the flavors of everything.  The issues I had were with execution of 3 of the 6 items I ate.  First of all, I really enjoyed both the dal and the channa ... no concerns with either.  The naan was also better than Flavors of India in that it wasn't as dense.  But when I got to both the Seekh kabob and the buttered chicken, despite the pleasing tastes, the dry meat couldn't be overcome in either case.  Then the last challenge was with the rice.  While it was light and properly cooked, it was quite watery.  (No joke; I was shocked.)  I'll for sure try them again to see if the problems relate to opening-week jitters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment