Friday, December 16, 2011

Battle of the cheesesteaks!

As the year is coming to an end, and my remaining days at work even more quickly, I've spent much of the week enjoying my go-to favorite offerings from the trucks, even when I had holiday parties to attend where food was being served.  This included stops at Red Hook, Dorothy Moon, Hula Girl, Goode's, and BBQ Bus at Uncurbed, plus I'll be trying to make it to Far East Taco Grill before I'm done for the year midday Wednesday.  But today, in addition to my 1-day tardy hook-up with my jerk chicken cheesesteak from Goode's, I decided to battle it against the new cheesesteak offerings coming from Korean truck, AZN Eats.  I mean, if it's not going to be Philly style, why shouldn't a Caribbean cheesesteak be matched against a Korean one...? %-)  Goode's is tough to beat, although AZN was a formidable competitor, allowing for a rating bump from 3 to 3.5 honks in the updated review:
AZN Eats (@azneats on Twitter) -- UPDATE (16Dec): A few weeks ago AZN Eats announced they were going to start serving cheesesteaks using the beef options on their menu and I thought, "Now there's an idea!"  How can you go wrong with long marinated beef making out with some cheese wrapped in a sub roll?  And AZN Eats didn't.  Exactly what you'd expect, with Kalbi being served for $8 and bulgogi for $7, with provolone and cabbage, although I asked for no cabbage.  I doused it with the "AZN Spicy Sauce" then thoroughly enjoyed the fusion offering.  Other than the fact there was too much roll (see the pic,) the sandwich is enough to elevate AZN from 3 to 3.5 honks.

In cart news if you missed it earlier this week, District Taco announced they are opening a second brick and mortar in the first few months of 2012, this time in Metro Center, so District Taco will finally be in the District.

BTW -- It was awesome to see EVERY SINGLE SPACE at Farragut Square occupied by a food truck today.  Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment