Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Still so busy....

I'm clearly very far behind with all the latest menu item "sampling" (plus a handful of re-visits) I've been able to do over the last couple of weeks, so I'm going to try to get a quick n' dirty summary done here to catch up:

Vietnamese Pork Lettuce Wraps from Cirque Cuisine: I swear Chef Jessica is on a mission to get me to eat more vegetables, and frankly, she's winning.  Two large leaves of butter lettuce stuffed with savory, slow-cooked pork and each topped with a giant mint leaf.  It was served with a light slaw of bok choy, cabbage, and fennel(?) plus a dipping (or pouring) sauce.  Fresh herbs make everything better...
Balinese Beef Satay from Cirque Cuisine: This was the same day, so these 4 tender skewers of beef were served with the same crunchy bok choy & cabbage salad as the pork wraps along with coconut sticky rice.  The surprisingly delicate peanut-ty sauce wasn't particularly spicy, but a thick(-ish) hot sauce is available to kick-up anything you want.  Cirque Cuisine continues to be a favorite, and I'm hoping to find time for another Eat Street article to profile them soon.
Funnel Cake from Reba's Funnel Cakes: Think about eating air that is gently sweet and perfectly crispy and you'll know what this funnel cake it about.  IMHO a bit pricey at $7 with just powdered sugar or $8 with fresh fruit.  Gets 4 honks anyway.
Kobideh & Beef Combo from Fresh Afghan Meals: I'd call it a close cousin of many of the other kabob trucks with different variations on the seasonings.  The kobideh (ground meat hand formed on a stick to resemble a sausage but without casing) was juicy and well cooked in polar opposite to the beef kabob which was pretty tough and overcooked.  They were both served over a different rice than I've had from the other kabob trucks, containing raisins and a spice-blend I'm going to guess as baharat (or some other blend that for sure contains cinnamon.)  Other differences included a more tomato-y chickpea side than others, plus the white sauce more strongly maintained its greek yogurt flavor -- none in a bad way, just different.  I probably won't go for the beef kabob again, but would definitely return for everything else.  3.5 honks.

Oyster PoBoy from Cajunators: Plump, cornmeal crusted oysters stuffed in a much-improved hoagie roll from the last time I engaged with one of their sandwiches (August 2011 Truckeroo.)  Plus, these guys KNOW how to make remoulade.  Everytime I hit this truck, I like it more and more.
Gumbo from Chef Driven: Talking about plump oysters, they are just one of the bits of goodness you will find in the zesty gumbo Chef Jerry is putting out. The effort he put in the roux is plainly evident.  As I've said several times, just go and order anything.
Chicken Pimenton, Pork Andaluz, and Corn Fritter tapas from Tapas Truck: Better than both my first and second visits as I truly enjoyed all three tapas this go-round.  I'm hoping the creamy corn fritters stick around a while, although I continue to appreciate changing menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment