Friday, October 7, 2011

Happy Farragut Friday

I am scheduled to work only every other Friday, and some of my working Friday's get disrupted but other events (including a good day for any possible liquid lunch) so I don't often get to experience the joy and convenience of Farragut Friday.  However today I hit 3 trucks, with thoughts to head back later for a 4th to get some ice cream from Sinplicity.  (Have I mentioned they have the best ice cream ever?!?!?)

With that, I tried AZN Eats for the first time.  First post updated with a 3 honk review (and pic): 
AZN Eats (@azneats on Twitter) -- If you've ever read this blog before, you know meat which is too fatty irks me.  So what do I do?  I go an order the Kalbi from AZN Eats containing short ribs, one of the fattiest cuts of beef I can think of.  Based on tweets and such from other folks, it seemed like the most popular thing to get.  It was quite palatable and not at all as fatty as I expected, although I did pull much (of what was there) off.  The kalbi was served on a generous bed rice which had almost a creamy-ness to it, and I know that sounds wrong or that it could have been overcooked, but it was pleasant.  I did not care at all for the vegetables and didn't quite understand the side of regular sliced pickles offered on the side.  Lastly I was disappointed they didn't have gochujang...only sriracha. 
Then I headed over to DC Slices to see if they had any sweet potato tots; I'd been trying for months to hit the truck when they were on board, but every time I found myself SOL.  Alas, NOT TODAY!  And with that, they get the bump to 3.5 honks with a slightly updated review (and pic).

Last stop was to grab a turtle cheesecake to bring home for the long weekend from That Cheesecake Truck.  

One truck I didn't hit today, but wish congrats on earning permits, popped their DC cherry at Farragut today too:
Maui Wowi

There was a sign on the side of the truck with a Nathan's hot dog logo, but the menu (which didn't appear to me to list any sort of dog) looked to be shaved ice, smoothies, and coffee drinks.  I did digg the palapa hood over the serving window.  Nice touch!

Yesterday I did make it back to Goode's Mobile Kitchen.  In addition to the jerk chicken, I put a combo together with the curry chicken.  ($15?!??!)  Flavor was still satisfying, but for both myself and my friend who joined me and just had curry, a "scoop" of curry was substantially smaller than a "scoop" of jerk.

Have a good long weekend everybody.  Only 3 days next week then off traveling to a conference the week after.  Does Vegas have any food trucks???  (Thinking I'll have to research....)

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Truckeroo for October just announced as October 28.  Don't forget Truckapalooza at GWU on October 14 too!  (Grrrr ... both Friday's I'll be off.

No comments:

Post a Comment